This introductory course will give you a comprehensive overview of character design for animation, a cornerstone of the animation industry that also plays a crucial role in other areas such as concept art, background art, and storyboarding. You will be exploring various traditional and unconventional character styles and concepts through hands-on drawing exercises. Whether you are aspiring to attend art or design school, or a professional looking to expand your creative horizons in character design, animation, motion graphics, infographics, advertising or any other form of media narrative, this course will provide the essential knowledge you need.
Date(s): 06 to 27 May 2023
Time: 6 May, 13 May, 20 May and 27 May 2023 / 2pm - 5pm
Venue: NTU ADM Building
Registration Closing Date: 22 Apr 2023
By the end of this short course, learners will be able to:
- Employ a range of drawing techniques to imply motion, mood, attitude, weight and composition.
- Draw a character in a way that describes motion.
- Create a series of drawings that express a motion sequence or story.
- Apply learned techniques to original characters.
- Overview of key concepts and theories around drawing characters for animation and how we develop our own designs for narrative.
- Fundamental shapes used in character design.
- Drawing with personality and to evoke a narrative
- Pose, attitude, weight, composition
- Drawing from references
- Understanding style
- Characteristics of styles
- Developing a personal style
- Placing the character in a narrative environment
- Creating a drawing portfolio
- Assessing and judging character drawing for animation
Diploma holder or working professionals with relevant job experience.
This course could be of value to anyone who wishes to extend their own abilities, or wishes to move towards this type of professional work Character Design, Animator, Concept Artist, Motion Graphics Creater, Media Producer, Writer, Storyboard artist or Media Creative.
Standard Course Fee: S$1944.00
NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
Mr Andre Quek
Andre is a filmmaker who specializes in 2D hand-drawn animation. Graduating with honours from School of Art, Design and Media, Nanyang Technological University (NTU) in 2014, he co-founded Finding Pictures (2018), a Singaporean Animation Studio. He draws inspiration from all walks of life, believing that abstracting the details of reality enlivens his animation.
Andre’s film “Princess” has been screened at over 50 international film festivals, winning multiple awards for best animation short films, including Best Animation Award in the National Youth Film Awards (NYFA) 2015, and Gold award in the Crowbar Awards 2015. He produced Automatonomy (2017) that won Best Animation in NYFA 2019.
His recent film includes co-directing one of the 15 shorts, “The Brown Dog” (2020).
He is currently directing a new 16-ep animated TV series, Puberteens, commissioned by Mediacorp.