Physical characterisation of materials is the measurement and evaluation of the properties of materials. It is essential for the development of materials, for materials failure investigation and routine assessment. Thermal analysis constituted a group of characterisation techniques in which the thermal properties of materials are characterised. Materials in service are subjected to extreme and fluctuating temperature conditions. As the properties and performance of materials are intimately related to the temperature, a group of thermal analysis techniques covering TGA, DSC, DTA, TMA etc… in which the physical properties of materials are measured as a function of temperature whilst the material is subjected to a controlled temperature are employed to characterise materials. In the module on thermal analysis, specific characterisation techniques will be covered in depth including Thermo-gravimetric analysis (TGA), Differential scanning calorimetry (DSC) and Differential Thermal Analysis (DTA). Other less common but advanced thermal techniques will also be introduced briefly.
- Graduate Certificate in Materials Characterization
- FlexiMasters in Materials Characterization
Date(s): 15 Jan 2024 to 19 Apr 2024
Venue: NTU Virtual Learning Environment
Registration Closing Date: 11 Dec 2023
At the end of the course, learners are able to:
1. Select and evaluate physical characterisation techniques, namely thermal analysis, for the investigation of material performance and;
2. Develop laboratory facilities for thermal analysis.
1. Introduction to Thermal Analysis
2. Thermogravimetry and Differential Thermogravimetry
3. Instrumentation and Experimental Procedure for TG/DTG
4. Interpretation of TG and DTG curves
5. Differential Thermal Analysis (DTA) and Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) – Instrumentation and Experimental Procedure
6. Differential Thermal Analysis (DTA) and Differential Scanning Calorimetry (DSC) – Interpretations and Applications
7. Multiple Techniques
Suitable for professionals working in Engineering, Quality Control, Failure Analysis, Manufacturing and R&D.
Brief screening/shortlist of applicants involved in this course.
Standard Course Fee: S$1,275.48
SSG Funding Support
Course fee payable after SSG funding, if eligible under various schemes
Fee BEFORE funding & GST
Fee AFTER funding & 8% GST
Singapore Citizens (SCs) and Permanent Residents (PRs) (Up to 70% funding)
Enhanced Training Support for SMEs (ETSS)
SCs aged ≥ 40 years old
• NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
|COURSE TITLE||ACADEMIC UNIT|
|CET772 Principles and Adaptation||1|
|CET773 Variation and Nonstoichiometry||1|
|CET774 Organic Structural Materials||1|
|CET775 Organic Electronic Materials||1|
|CET776 Organic Optical Materials||1|
|CET778 Surface Analysis||1|
|CET779 Tissue – Material Interactions||1|
|CET780 Materials in Medicine||1|
|CET781 Tissue Engineering & Drug Delivery||1|
|CET782 Processes for Particulate Materials and Bulk Materials||1|
|CET783 Vacuum Processes||1|
|CET784 Solution Processes||1|
|CET785 Fundamentals of Electron Microscopy||1|
|CET786 Advanced Characterization using TEM Techniques||1|
Listed courses are:
- Credit-bearing and stackable to Graduate Certificate in Materials Characterization (total 9AUs) and FlexiMasters in Materials Characterization (total 15AUs).
- SSG funded and SkillsFuture Credit approved.