This course aims to provide a good fundamental understanding of nonlinear optical phenomena, which are the working principles of major photonic devices and systems.
This course is part of:
- Graduate Certificate in Precision Instrumentation
- FlexiMasters in Precision Instrumentation
On completion of the course, the learners will acquire a good understanding of the physics and operation of optical device and systems that commonly available in advanced manufacturing as product or characterisation tools.
1. Nonlinear optical susceptibilities: linear & nonlinear optical susceptibilities, with a focus on propagation and coupling equations in linear and nonlinear media.
2. Second-order nonlinear optical effects: second harmonic generation and phase matching technology; sum- and difference-frequency generation; parametric amplification and oscillation; quasi-phase matching technique and introduction to photonic crystals.
3. Third-order nonlinear optical effects: four wave interaction and coupling equation; four-wave-mixing and phase conjugation; intense beam induced refractive index change, e.g. optical Kerr effect, self-focusing/defocusing, self-phase modulation; nonlinear optical absorption, e.g. two-photon absorption, saturable absorption and reverse saturable absorption; electro-optic, acousto-optics and photorefractive effects.
Standard Course Fee: S$2,675
|Course fee payable after SSG funding, if eligible under various schemes|
Cat-A SSG Funded Courses
Enhanced Training Support for SMEs (ETSS)
Mid-Career Enhanced Subsidy (MCES)
- All fees stated are inclusive of 7% GST.
- NTU/NIE alumni may utilise their $1,600 Alumni Course Credits. Click here for more information.
|COURSE TITLE||ACADEMIC UNIT|
|CET310 Precision Instrumentation Techniques I||1|
|CET311 Precision Instrumentation Techniques II||1|
|CET312 Precision Instrumentation Techniques III||2|
|CET313 Concept of Experimental Condensed Matter Physics||2|
|CET314 Principle of Experimental Techniques in Condensed Matter Physics||2|
|CET315 Principles of Solid-State Electronic Devices||2|
|CET316 Fabrication of Solid-State Electronic Devices||2|
|CET318 Principles of Nonlinear Optics Experimental Techniques||2|
- Credit-bearing and stackable to Graduate Certificate in Precision Instrumentation (total 9AUs) and FlexiMasters in Precision Instrumentation (total 15AUs).
- SSG funded and SkillsFuture Credit approved.