GRAPHENE or Undergraduate Programme for Holistic Education and Experience is MSE’s undergraduate leadership programme, designed to develop skills and attributes that are relevant in our world’s ever-changing landscape. It’s a step towards providing outstanding students with a holistic learning experience, one that emphasises not just academic excellence but character development and leadership.
Students in the MSE GRAPHENE are committed to their own learning and holistic development. They gain by participating in activities especially organised under the auspices of this programme.
A. Conceptual Learning
Workshops/ short courses
- Personal Mastery / Self-Discovery: leaders need to know oneself, their strengths, understand what motivates them and be a good example to others.
- Effective Communication: leaders need to communicate their vision and learn how to get their message across; speaking and listening skills are equally important, recognising that vocals and tone have impact on audience.
- Planning, Problem Solving and Decision-Making: leaders are expected to step-up when problems surface; knowing how to set SMART goals and knowledge of planning and problem-solving tools are essential management skills to learn.
- Relationship and Team-building: leaders have to work with people of diverse backgrounds, build good relationships with team members and inspire those they wish to lead.
Industry-related activities: network with distinguished academics and industry leaders through dialogue session with C-Suite Execs, industry visits
Apply what you learn under conceptual learning, such as creative thinking, problem solving, communication, working in teams, etc.
- MSE ambassadorship roles - actively participate in the School’s major events and outreach activities to spur the interest of younger students and the public to the fascinating world of materials science.
- Group projects – small and short-term projects
with other students in GRAPHENE
- Student initiated service projects - organise and participate in socially relevant, community-based projects that will enable them to apply the leadership and management skills learnt in the programme. They can leverage on the Community Involvement
Project (CIP) activities under one of the committees of the MSE Club or initiate their own projects.
- Travel Award
supports students for their short-term or semester-long overseas exchange programme, global internships, cultural immersions and overseas competitions or conferences. The is conferred based on student’s contributions to the MSE community. Students who are successful in securing a placement in NTU Global Programmes can apply for this grant.
- Certificate of Participation
Active students will be presented with a certificate on their graduation year
- Outstanding GRAPHENE Student Award
Two awardees in their graduation year are chosen by the Office of Associate Chair (Students) based on their active participation in GRAPHENE and contributions to the MSE community and fulfilment of ambassadorship role. Each student will receive $1,000.
- Referral Letter signed by Associate Chair (Students)
The letter will mention competencies/skills and specific contributions; active students can request and provide the addressee’s email and the office will send the referral directly.
For enquiries on the programme, please write to [email protected]