--- Illuminating Knowledge ---
Associate Professor Timothy Thatt Yang TAN
Associate Chair (Academic)
School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
N1.2-01-13 / N1.2-B2-34
62 Nanyang Drive, Singapore 637459
(65) 6592 1614, 6316 8829
Photo-Driven Chemical and Biomedical Engineering
Our research is inspired by light as a sustainable energy source to drive chemical processes, and its minimal invasiveness to achieve biomedical diagnosis and therapy. Our overall theme is concerned with designing, developing and understanding new processes, and redesigning and improving existing ones, to simultaneously enhance economic value and reduce the impact on the environment, so as to advance healthcare and enable the necessary societal transformation to a sustainable future.
We focus on enhancing solar-enabled processes such as solar cells and solar-driven fuel production via materials architecture engineering from nano-to-micron scale to improve photoconversion efficiency and charge transport kinetics. We are also interested in the use of novel and sustainable approaches in these processes, with a strong regard to the impact on the environment and the long-term sustainability of the processes developed.
Our work in photo-enabled biomedical processes centers at the interface of chemical, materials and biological engineering. Our goal is to integrate useful components/processes into multifunctional systems for simultaneous diagnosis and light-triggered therapy, and to interrogate the fundamental mechanisms dictating the combinatorial performances of these processes.
Through the pursue of the two areas discussed above, our multidisciplinary and collaborative efforts have motivated a cross-over into other non light-mediated processes such as sustainable separation technology, bio-inspired fuel cells, tissue-inspired engineering and high performance biosensing.
Congratulations to Mr Wei Wei and Dr Zhang Yan for publishing “Cross Relaxation Induced Pure Red Upconversion in Activator- and Sensitizer-Rich Lanthanide Nanoparticles” in Chemistry of Materials.
Congratulations to Dr Zhang Yan and Mr Wei Wei for publishing an invited review “Engineering Lanthanide-based Materials for Nanomedicine” in Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology C: Photochemistry Reviews.
Congratulations to Dr He Ziming for winning the 2014 World Future Foundation (WFF) PhD Prize in Environmental and Sustainability Research for outstanding PhD thesis.
Congratulations to Dr Liu Jing for winning the “Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad” in 2014.
Congratulations to Dr Liu Jing and Dr He Ziming for passing their oral defense!
We welcome Dr Xu Qingchi (Senior Research Fellow) to our lab.
He Ziming and Liu Jing’s work “Understanding TiO2 Size-Dependent Electron Transport Properties of a Graphene-TiO2 Photoanode in Dye-sensitized Solar Cell Using Conducting Atomic Force Microscopy” has been accepted in Advanced Materials.... Congratulations!
We welcome Mr Zeng Zhiping (PhD candidate) to our lab.
Congratulations to Dr Ai Feng and Dr Diana Vanda Wellia at the 2013 convocation!
Congratulations to Mr Kazi Monzure Khoda for passing his oral defense.
Congratulations to He Ziming for being one of the 29 recipients of “Chinese Government Award for Outstanding Self-Financed Students Abroad”. Well done!
We welcome Mr Wei Wei (PhD candidate) to our lab.
Hu Peng’s work “Ions Induced Synthesis of Uniform Single Crystalline Sulphide-based Quaternary Alloy Hexagonal Nanorings for Highly Efficient Photocatalytic Hydrogen Evolution” has been accepted in Advanced Materials.... Congratulations!
John Liu’s work “Multifunctional P(PEGMA)-REDV conjugated titanium surfaces for improved endothelial cell selectivity and hemocompatibility” has been accepted in Journal of Materials Chemistry .... Congratulations!
We welcome Miss Dai Yun (Project Officer) and Ms Khoo Si Yun (PhD candidate) to our lab.
Zhang Yan’s work “Tuning sub-10 nm single-phase NaMnF3 nanocrystals as ultrasensitive hosts for pure intense fluorescence and excellent T1 magnetic resonance imaging” has been accepted in Chemical Communications .... Congratulations!
Congratulations to Ms Diana Vanda Wellia for passing her oral defense!
We welcome PhD students Ms Xue Jingwen and Mr Chun Yong Yao to our lab.
He Ziming and Liu Jing’s work “Architecture engineering of hierarchically porous chitosan/vacuum-stripped graphene scaffold as bioanode for high performance microbial fuel cell” has been accepted in Nano Letters .. Congratulations!
Xu Qingchi and Zhang Yan’s work “Anti-cAngptl4 Ab-conjugated N-TiO2/NaYF4:Yb,Tm Nanocomposite for Near Infrared-Triggered Drug Release and Enhanced Targeted Cancer Cell Ablation “ has been accepted in Advanced Healthcare Materials .. Congratulations!
Congratulations to Zhang Yan for passing her oral defense!
We welcome Dr Lin Jingdong to our lab as a Postdoctoral Fellow.
We welcome Dr John Liu to our lab as a Postdoctoral Fellow.
We welcome a new PhD candidate, Mr Ngaw Chee Keong, to our lab.
· “Cross Relaxation Induced Pure Red Upconversion in Activator- and Sensitizer-Rich Lanthanide Nanoparticles” Chemistry of Materials. 2014 DOI: 10.1021/cm5022382
· “Understanding TiO2 Size-Dependent Electron Transport Properties of a Graphene-TiO2 Photoanode in Dye-sensitized Solar Cell Using Conducting Atomic Force Microscopy” Advanced Materials, 2013 25 47 p6900
C-AFM dark current images of the composite electrodes based on Graphene-TiO2 of TiO2 size (a) 12.1 nm (S1), (b) 7.8 nm (S2) and (c) 2.5 nm (S3). The scan size is 400 nm × 400 nm and the bias is −5 V applied to FTO substrate. (d) Comparison of the trend between the c-AFM average current of the three composite electrodes (dotted line) and Jsc of the three bulk devices (dashed line).
· “Ions Induced Synthesis of Uniform Single Crystalline Sulphide-based Quaternary Alloy Hexagonal Nanorings for Highly Efficient Photocatalytic Hydrogen Evolution” Advanced Materials DOI: 10.1002/adma.201204545
· “Architecture engineering of hierarchically porous chitosan/vacuum-stripped graphene scaffold as bioanode for high performance microbial fuel cell” Nano Letters 2012, 12 (9) p4738 (DOI: 10.1021/nl302175j)
· “Anti-cAngptl4 Ab-conjugated N-TiO2/NaYF4:Yb,Tm Nanocomposite for Near Infrared-Triggered Drug Release and Enhanced Targeted Cancer Cell Ablation” Advanced Healthcare Materials, 2012, 1, 4, p470-474 (DOI: 10.1002/adhm.201200055)
· ‘HOT’ article featured on Nanoscale blog and journal homepage: http://blogs.rsc.org/nr.
Killing bacteria in broad daylight: “Understanding bactericidal performance on ambient light activated TiO2-InVO4 nanostructured films” Nanoscale, 2011, 3 (12), 4977 - 4983.
· Top 25 Hottest Articles in Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry from July 2010 – June 2011. “Transparent Visible Light Activated C-N-F-Codoped TiO2 Films for Self-Cleaning Applications” 2010, 210, 181-187.
· Top 10 most accessed articles when published in October 2011 in Nanoscale: “Nanostructure control of graphene-composited TiO2 by a one-step solvothermal approach for high performance dye-sensitized solar cells” 2011, 3 (11), 4613 - 4616.
· A Three-Way Synergy of Triple-Modified Bi2WO6/Ag/N-TiO2 Nanojunction Film for Enhanced Photogenerated Charges Utilization, Chem. Commun., 2011, 47 (30), 8641 - 8643
· Facile preparation of cyclodextrin chiral stationary phases via organic soluble catalytic “click” chemistry for enantioseparation of chiral drugs, Nature Protocols 2011 6 p935-942.
· Single-Phase Dy2O3:Tb3+ Nanocrystals as Dual-Modal Contrast Agent for High Field Magnetic Resonance and Optical Imaging, Chemistry of Materials 2011, 23 (9), pp 2439–2446.
· Our work is featured on the cover of Nanoscale, 2010, 2, 1122-1127. “Superhydrophilicity-Assisted Preparation of Transparent and Visible Light Activated N-doped Titania Film”
PhD (Chemical Engineering), Feb 2004 – University of New South Wales, Australia. Thesis “Photocatalytic Reduction of Selenate and Selenite: Water/Wastewater treatment and the Formation of Nano-Selenium Compounds” under the International Postgraduate Research Awards (IPRS), Australia and supervision of Professor Rose Amal.
B.E. (Chemical Engineering) Hon 1st Class, Feb 2000 – University of New South Wales, Australia.
Feb 2012 – current: Associate Professor, School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, NTU, Singapore.
Jan – Feb 2013: Visiting Associate Professor, School of Energy and Environment, City University, Hong Kong.
March 2005 – Feb 2012: Assistant Professor, School of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, NTU, Singapore.
Aug 2003 - Feb 2005: Postdoctoral Fellow, Institute of Bioengineering and Nanotechnology, A*STAR, Singapore.
March 2003 – July 2003: Travel research fellow in CNRS, Ecole Centrale de Lyon, France under the Australia-France Science and Technology Alliance Award
March 2000 – Feb 2003: PhD candidate and teaching assistant in the School of Chemical Engineering and Industrial Chemistry, the University of New South Wales, Australia.
Total Citation: 2228
Journal publication: 72
Book chapters: 4
Book editor: 1
Invited lecture: 13
Complete list of publication: http://www3.ntu.edu.sg/home/tytan/pubs/pubs.html
Selected publications in books
Selected publications in journals
PhotoChemBioMed Lab @ SCBE, NTU