The Nanyang Technological University – University Scholars Programme (NTU–USP) provides an intellectually stimulating environment for students who are enrolled in our programme. NTU–USP students sharpen their critical thinking skills and leadership abilities through interdisciplinary academic and co-curricular programmes promising independent learning and immersive intercultural experiences.
This academically rigorous multi-disciplinary programme complements and bridges NTU’s core disciplines, adding breadth to each scholar’s academic experience. Scholars remain in their home programme while concurrently pursuing NTU–USP courses and activities.
The NTU–USP experience offers a vibrant student life. Our co-curricular enrichment activities supplement the NTU–USP academic curriculum through freshmen overseas study, seminars by distinguished professors, and NTU–USP scholar-led initiatives.
The NTU-USP Curriculum is designed to be academically rigorous, intellectually daring and stimulating. Students are given many opportunities to explore many disciplines outside their own domain of study. Class sizes are kept small to maximise interaction and foster creative discussions. The NTU-USP curriculum intends for students to move out of their comfort zone and explore other areas of interest, which may or may not be their niche.
Elective courses to be chosen from the following
- SP0011: Major Contemporary Environmental Challenges: A Multidisciplinary Perspective
- SP0013: Cultivating Heartware for Inclusivity and Diversity
- SP0015: Understanding Science in the Media
- SP0016: What is Reality? Perspectives from Quantum Physics and Philosophy
- SP0018: Sociolinguistics: Language and Culture
- SP0022: Identity, Work and Society
- SP0023: Error and Bias
- SP0024: Political Earth
- SP0030: Travels and Travellers
- SP0031: Re-negotiating Truth and Ethics at the nexus of art and journalism
- SP0032: Art, Technology, and the Image
- SP0037: Fables, Folklore, and Literature
- SP0038: Heritage Studies
- SP0040: Maritime Silk Roads: Past, Present, and Future
- SP0042: Dramatic Texts: Adaptation and Improvisation
- SP0047: Key Problems and Puzzles in Contemporary Aesthetics
- SP0048: Global Histories Through Masterpieces
- SP0051: Astronomy
- SP0056: Workings of the Human Body
- SP0062: Discerning Biology in Popular Media
- SP0063: Climate Change
- SP0064: Planet Earth (elective for Students admitted AY2015 and after; classified as core for Students admitted AY2014 and before)
- SP0065: Displaced Communities, Education and Opportunities
- SP0067: Creativity, Cognition, & the Imagination
- SP0068: Artificial Intelligence: History, Philosophy, & Prospects
- SP0071: Love and Sex
- SP0072: Enterprise, Innovation and Leadership (elective for all batches except for Students admitted AY2014)
- SP0073: The Great Ideas (elective for Students admitted AY2014 and after; classified as core for Students admitted AY2013 and before)
- SP0078: Schooling and Culture
- SP0079: Language and Society
- SP0081: Culture and Conflict
- SP0082: Truth, Lies, and Hype
- SP0083: Science, Culture, and Society
- SP0084: Communicating Gender: From Biology to Culture
Eminent Speakers Series
The Eminent Speaker Series (ESS) is a series of talks and seminars for scholars that aims to provide a higher-level platform for the scholars to connect with world-class professor, industry and business leaders and to learn best practices from the best brains around the world.
ESS topics will be broad-based to cater to the different needs and expectations of the scholars. The topics range from culture and the arts, business and entrepreneurship, philosophy, modern science and technology to politics.