Advisory from Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) Singapore – Travel to Hong Kong (Date of Notice: 21 August 2019)

There have been large-scale protests taking place across Hong Kong since June 2019 which have become increasingly unpredictable.  These protests can take place with little or no notice and could turn violent.  Recent protests had also affected the Hong Kong International Airport, leading to the cancellation of many flights on 12 & 13 August and leaving many travellers stranded at the airport.


Given the current developments, MFA has advised that Singaporeans should defer non-essential travel to Hong Kong.


Students currently in Hong Kong should take all necessary precautions to ensure your personal safety.  You are advised to stay vigilant , monitor developments through the local news, and heed the instructions of the local authorities.  You should avoid any reported locations of upcoming protest rallies and other large public gatherings, and stay in touch with your family and friends so that they know you are safe.


You may wish to follow the Hong Kong Police Force on their social media accounts for the latest updates:






Singaporeans who require consular assistance can contact the Singapore Consulate-General in Hong Kong, or the MFA Duty Office (24 hrs) at:


Singapore Consulate-General in Hong Kong

Tel: +852-2527-2212 or +852-9466-1251 (after office hours)

Fax: +852-2861-3595

Email: singcg_hkg@mfa.sg



Ministry of Foreign Affairs Duty Office (24 hours)

Tanglin, Singapore 248163

Tel: +65 6379 8800 / 8855

Email: mfa_duty_officer@mfa.gov.sg


Singaporeans in Hong Kong are encouraged to eRegister with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs at http://eregister.mfa.gov.sg/ so that you are contactable should the need arise. More information on the latest travel advisories can be found at https://www.mfa.gov.sg/Countries-Regions/H/Hong-Kong/Travel-Page


Students should also purchase comprehensive travel insurance and be familiar with the terms and coverage.  Please refer to NTU's webpage on Overseas Travel and Declaration to understand more about the University's requirements for students who are travelling overseas. 

Share Article