AEU understands that some students with disabilities and special needs may experience challenges in accessing standard learning materials, taking exams in the regular format, participating in classroom activities and more.
AEU will work with relevant departments to provide appropriate academic support to ensure that all students with disabilities and special needs are given equal opportunity to achieve their academic best.
Examples of learning assistance and support are:
- Academic and Examination Arrangements
- Learning support
- Assistive technology
Academic and Examination Arrangements
Students with permanent disabilities/ special education needs (SEN) who need special exam accommodations must arrange to meet AEU to discuss their needs.
Special examination arrangements may include the following:
- Provision of examination question papers with a bigger font and paper size (A3 size) Printed copy of examination announcements will be issued to hearing-impaired students.
- Physically-impaired students are allowed to enter the examination hall before the rest of the students.
- Extra writing time
- Provision of laptop and printer for students with writing difficulties.
- Separate room for students who are unable to sit in the main exam halls due to their permanent disabilities/ SEN.
- Use of assistive technology if students' permanent disabilities/ SEN require them for accessing the exam material or writing of answers.
1. Students must have permanent disabilities/ Special Education Needs (SEN).
2. Matriculated students of the following status:
a. Full time and part time
b. Local, international and exchange
c. Undergraduate and post-graduate
- Application starts in week 0 to week 2 of each semester. Submission of application after the stipulated deadline will cause delay to your academic assessment accommodation provision.
- Ad-hoc application may be accepted if students are newly diagnosed with permanent disabilities/SEN or has emerging challenges resulting from his/ her permanent disabilities/ SEN.
For application for academic and exam accommodations, please download Application Form for Academic Assessment Accommodation.
The following learning support services are available:
- Note-taking services for students who are unable to take notes effectively during lectures and tutorials
- Video transcription for online lectures when captions are unavailable
- Sign language interpretation for classroom activities
- Conversion of text and diagrams into Braille / tactile format for students with vision loss
If you require academic support, please email AEU at firstname.lastname@example.org or complete the Service Request Form to make an appointment for a discussion.