Leave of Absence

Important Notes

1. Students must apply for leave of absence if they are not registering for any courses in any term of study and/or are not working on their dissertation/ thesis.

2. It is student's responsibility to notify the School, relevant departments and course instructors on his absence from scheduled academic activities, and to apply for leave of absence.

3. Students who are granted leave of absence are not allowed to fulfil any University requirements such as attend classes or work on or submit their dissertation/thesis.

4. Students are only deemed to have been granted leave of absence upon issuance of the official notification of approval by the University.

5. The University reserves the right to refuse or revoke an approved leave of absence in the best interest of the student, or should the student be found to have provided any false or misleading information or fail to submit the relevant supporting documents.

6. Students who are not granted leave of absence but are absent shall be deemed to have withdrawn from the University and shall have no automatic right of readmission to the University.

Type of Leave

7. Students may apply for either full term or short term leave. Additionally, Research students should also refer to https://www.ntu.edu.sg/sasd/oas/ge/Documents/rsls_leave_policy.pdf for details on vacation leave, compassionate leave and outpatient medical leave.

8. For short-term leave, students must seek the Schools’ approval for absence from classes especially when assessments (e.g. quizzes or tests) are conducted during classes or when attendance in the classes are deemed compulsory by the School. Application for leave due to illness or other good reasons during the University’s official examination period (including Revision Week) will be dealt with in accordance with the rules and regulations governing Examination.

Application Procedure

9. Students planning a leave of absence should consult their School (supervisor or advisor or programme director) on the possible impact to their course of study and candidature before applying. Students should also check the terms and conditions of their scholarships, if relevant.

10. Application for leave for School's approval must be submitted online via GSLink* at least 7 working days before the leave. Application submitted after the leave period has started or ended will not be considered, and the tuition fees paid will not be refunded. Exception will be for Outpatient Medical Leave/ Hospitalisation Leave/ Maternity Leave for which applications may be submitted not later than 7 working days after the leave.
(*Graduate students of self-financing and autonomous programmes should apply directly to the School). 

11. Reasons for the leave application must be clearly indicated and relevant supporting documents^ must be attached. Otherwise, the applications will not be processed.
(^Students may submit their Medical Certificate (MC) in softcopy. They are to retain the original hardcopy MC for 1 year for verification, if necessary.)

Leave of Absence and Candidature Period

12. Leave of absence is counted towards the student’s maximum candidature, except for internship leave for full-time PhD students. Application for leave beyond the maximum candidature period or during the extended candidature period are not allowed.

Student Pass

13. Full-time international students granted leave of absence consecutively for more than one semester or trimester (for coursework students) or more than 3 months (for research students) are required to cancel and surrender their Student's Pass to Immigration & Checkpoints Authority (ICA). They will have to apply for a new Student Pass before they resume study.

14. International students who are required to apply for Student’s Pass to return for study must inform their School at least 4 weeks prior to their return, so that the University can put up an application for their Student's Pass to ICA. Students may approach One-Stop @ SAC for the application, or contact One Stop for further queries.


15. Students who are applying for leave of absence for an entire term and submit their application by Teaching Week 2 of the term and are granted the leave shall not be liable for tuition fees for the term. They are, however, required to pay an administrative fee of $50.00 plus prevailing GST for each term of leave granted to retain their names on the University's register. Any courses registered will be dropped and will not be reflected in the student's transcript.

16. Students who submit their application for an entire term of leave of absence after Teaching Week 2 of the term and are granted the leave before the deadline for withdrawal of courses from examination shall be liable for tuition fees for the entire term even if he has not registered for courses or has not attended classes or has not utilised any University resources. The notation ‘W’ (Withdrawal) will be reflected against each registered course in the students’ transcript.

17. Students who are applying for full term leave must include Vacation or Recess period in their leave application. Otherwise, they shall be liable for tuition fees for the entire term regardless of the period of leave applied.

18. Should students submit their dissertation/thesis for examination during their leave of absence or in the term immediately upon their return from their full-term leave, they shall be liable for fees as spelt out in the Thesis Submission website.

End of Leave Period and Resumption of Studies

19. Students must report back in-person to their Schools after the expiry of their leave. Students who fail to resume their study and register for courses (for students who have not completed the required courses) and do not apply for extension of leave will be deemed to have withdrawn from the University.

20. Students returning from short term leave are expected to continue their study after expiry of their leave. However, if a student wishes to discontinue from the courses, he must apply for withdrawal from the courses. Students who wish to withdraw their courses should approach their School or department for advice.

Share Article