This Personal Data Protection Statement has been prepared to help you understand how Nanyang Technological University (NTU) collects, uses and discloses your personal data.
NTU will collect, use and disclose your personal data in accordance with the
Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (“Act”). In general, before we collect any personal data from you, we will notify you of the purposes for which your personal data may be collected, used and disclosed, as well as obtain consent for the intended purposes.
If you have any questions on this policy or in relation to how NTU manages, protects and/or processes your personal data, please contact our Data Protection Officer (the “DPO”) via email: email@example.com
Purposes for the Collection, Use & Disclosure of Personal Data
Depending on your relationship with NTU (whether as a student, employee, alumnus, donor or service provider, etc), the personal data which we collect from you may be used and/or disclosed for the following purposes:
- Evaluating your application to be a student with us;
- Administering and managing your relationship as our student, including candidature matters, exchange programmes, scholarships, awards, fees, your achievements, your degree or certification, placements, secondments or internships with external organisations, programmes or courses run by other organisations;
- Dealing with Student Experience activities. “Student Experience” refers to activities, (e.g. festival celebrations, graduation ceremonies, orientation and student group camps, conferences, programmes, student benefit activities) which may be provided by NTU to enhance or enrich your life as a student with us, create networking opportunities for you, foster community spirit within the community, encourage holistic development of students both inside and outside the classroom and to assist you in planning and preparing for your life after graduation;
- Maintaining a lifelong relationship with NTU alumni;
- Creating awareness and promoting alumni relations; this includes informing you of promotions, benefits and services available to alumni, and organising, facilitating and notifying you of alumni events and programmes, courses or other activities, and providing you with NTU publications that are for alumni;
- Studying the profile of the alumni community for NTU’s policy making and planning;
- Involving alumni in NTU’s continual development and progress through the engagement of voluntary services and giving back to their alma mater;
- Evaluating your application to be an employee with us;
- Administering and managing your relationship as our employee, including secondments with or transfer to affiliates, related corporations or associated companies, and secondments with third party organisations;
- Dealing with and/or administering employment benefits and other employee welfare programs;
- Carrying out your instructions or responding to any enquiry given by you or on your behalf;
- Contacting you or communicating with you via various modes of communication such as voice call, text message or fax message, email or postal mail for the purposes of administering and managing your relationship with us;
- Dealing with, administering and or managing your use of NTU facilities including your accommodation needs, provision of IT services and recreation facilities;
- Complying with or as required by any request or direction of any governmental authority; or responding to requests for information from hospitals, embassies, public agencies, ministries, statutory boards or other similar authorities
- Any other purposes which NTU may inform you in writing from time to time, but for which NTU will seek your separate consent.
Disclosure of Personal Data to Third Parties Disclosure Permitted By Statutory Exemption under the Act
In order to conduct our operations more smoothly, NTU may disclose your personal data to our third party service providers, and affiliates or related corporations . This is because such third parties would be processing your personal data on NTU’s behalf for the purposes mentioned above.
NTU will not disclose your personal data to any third parties without first obtaining your consent permitting us to do so or unless any such disclosure is permitted under any of the statutory exemptions under the Act, e.g.
- the disclosure is required by law; or is necessary for any investigation or proceedings
- the purpose of such disclosure is clearly in your interests and consent cannot be obtained in a timely way;
- the disclosure is necessary to respond to an emergency that threatens the life, health or safety of yourself or another individual.
For the full list of exemptions, please refer to the Act which is publicly available at
Request for Access, Correction and/or Withdrawal of Personal Data
Subject to certain exceptions in the Act, you may request to review and update the personal data currently in our possession or withdraw your consent for the collection, use and disclosure of your personal data in our possession. Please submit your request to
If you request to access your personal information, we will ask you to verify your identity and specify what information you wish to access. NTU will provide you with the relevant personal data within a reasonable time after the request has been made. A fee may be charged for handling the request and you will be notified in advance of this.
For a request to
correct your personal data, NTU will correct your personal data as soon as practicable after verifying your identity. We will send the corrected personal data to every other organisation to which the personal data was disclosed by NTU within a year before the date the correction was made, unless that other organisation does not need the corrected personal data, or if you so consent, only to specific organisations to which the personal data was disclosed by us.
NTU will similarly process your request within a reasonable time after a request to
withdraw consent has been made. In some cases, the request to withdraw consent may adversely impact your relationship with NTU. We will notify you in advance of any such impact.
Administration and Management of Personal Data
NTU will take appropriate measures to keep your personal data accurate, complete and updated.
We will also take reasonable efforts to take appropriate preventive measures to ensure that your personal data is adequately protected and secured. Appropriate security arrangements will be put in place to prevent any unauthorised access or misuse of your personal data.
We will similarly take reasonable efforts to ensure that the personal data in our possession is destroyed as soon as (i) the purpose for which that personal data was collected is no longer being served by the retention of such data; and (ii) retention is no longer necessary for any other legal or business purposes.
As part of our effort to ensure that we properly manage, protect and process your personal data, we will be continually reviewing our policies, procedures and processes.
We recommend that you check our website from time to time to remain updated as to any changes in our personal data policy or any other policies.
Last updated on
12 August 2014.