Established in 1981, the SCHOOL OF ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING (EEE) is one of the founding Schools of the Nanyang Technological University. Built on a culture of excellence, the School is renowned for its high academic standards and strong tradition in research. To support teaching and cutting-edge research, EEE is host to 11 research centres and more than 50 laboratories, which are well-equipped with modern facilities and state-of-the-art equipment. With about 150 faculty members and an enrolment of more than 4,000, of which about 1,300 are graduate students, it is one of the largest EEE schools in the world.
In most large cities, traffic jams are quite common, especially at rush hour. By appropriately guiding drivers, traffic jams may potentially be avoided or at least limited. In order to develop effective on-demand route guidance, we need to be able to track and predict the traffic flow in real-time. Indeed, if we can accurately predict how the traffic will evolve, we may be able to forecast potential traffic jams, and determine route guidance schemes to avoid them. In this study, we will review practical algorithms for tracking and predicting traffic flow in dynamic urban transportation networks in real-time, using heterogeneous data sources such as video sensors, radar detectors, and GPS enabled mobile devices. We will also study accidents/incidents and weather effects on traffic prediction.
More specifically, in this project we have the following aims:
- Develop deployable solutions for real-time traffic prediction algorithms
- Develop mobile based applications for route guidance
- Design & developing server infrastructure to handle user requests & provide real-time traffic predictions.
- Writing technical documents and user guides.
The project officer will assist in conducting this research, writing journal publications, and preparing grant applications.
- Bsc degree in electrical engineering, industrial engineering or statistics
- Required skills include signal processing, scientific programming, combinatorial optimization, application development - SDLC, Visual C++/C#, SQL, GIS application development, networking protocols FTP, TCP/IP, machine learning & data modelling, intelligent transportation systems design
Interested candidates please send your CV/resume to:
Assoc Prof Justin Dauwels
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Nanyang Technological University
50 Nanyang Avenue
E-mail Address for E-mailed Applications: JDAUWELS@ntu.edu.sg
Electronic submission of application is highly encouraged.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified for interview.