Young and research-intensive, Nanyang Technological University (NTU Singapore) is ranked 11th globally. It is also placed 1st amongst the world's best young universities.
The Earth Observatory of Singapore (EOS) and the Asian School of the Environment (ASE) invite applications for a Research Assistant in Tephrostratigraphy to participate in the reconstruction of the eruptive history of volcanoes in Sumatra (Indonesia). This will involve preparation and coordination for field work, assistance with lab management and purchases, and the processing of collected samples. Preferred commencement date is as soon as possible.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist with field work planning and coordination, the handling of any related purchases or rentals, and the collection of sediment cores (if possible).
- Assist with the purchase of lab instruments and consumables needed for the study.
- Assist with the sub-sampling of sediment cores, the extraction and mounting of glass shards, and possibly their analysis.
- Participate in the various volcanology-related education and outreach activities of the EOS.
- BSc degree in Earth Sciences.
- Familiar with geochemical laboratory facilities (e.g. XRF core scanner, scanning electron microscope, electron microprobe, or laser-ablation ICP-MS).
- Experience in conducting fieldwork.
- Well organized and with good communication skills.
- Self-driven, highly motivated, with interest to work with other researchers and scientists (team player) to produce high-quality research.
Interested applicants are invited to submit a full CV, including academic qualifications, research records / work samples and names and contact details of two referees, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications will be reviewed by October 31st, 2017.
Address any questions to Dr. Caroline Bouvet de Maisonneuve (email@example.com).
We regret that only successful candidates will be informed.