Asian School of the Environment is looking for a candidate to join them as a Research Assistant.
The Research Assistant will assist with field and laboratory work to study nutrient and carbon cycling on coral reefs in Singapore and estuarine systems in Sarawak. They will help to organise and conduct monthly sampling trips on small boats to field sites in Singapore, where they will take water and particle samples and assist with the deployment of experimental apparatus. Moreover, they will help with organising two three-week-long sampling expeditions to Sarawak as part of an international collaboration, in which they themselves will also participate. They will also conduct independently or assist with laboratory analyses of the collected samples using biological and chemical techniques. They will also be responsible for purchasing equipment and laboratory consumables, and will work in close collaboration with PhD students and post-doctoral Research Fellows.
Knowledge and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree from a recognised institution in Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Sciences, or related scientific field
- Prior involvement in environmental research and in conducting field work is highly desirable
- Prior experience with analytical chemistry or biochemical assays (e.g. enzyme activity assays) is highly desirable
Key Competency requirements
- Willing to work at sea under challenging physical conditions, e.g. heat, strong waves and rocking boat, rain
- Ability to snorkel and/or SCUBA dive is highly desirable to support research activities at sea, but not essential
- Able to conduct repetitive laboratory tasks diligently
- Good command of written English
- Willing and able to learn new laboratory techniques quickly; training will be provided in a range of analytical and sampling methods
- Positive working attitude and ability to work both in a team and independently
- Good listening and communication skills
- Motivated by an interest in environmental sciences
Interested applicants should submit a CV and short (1-page) synopsis of previous achievements and interests, and the names of at least two referees to ASE_humanresources@ntu.edu.sg. Please indicate ‘Application for Research Assistant’ in the email Subject Heading.