I am a Nanyang assistant professor in Division of Software and Information Systems (SIS), School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University. My current research interests are related to Formal Methods, Security, Software Engineering and Multi-Agent systems.
School of Computer Science and Engineering, Nanyang Technological University
50 Nanyang Avenue, Singapore 639798
Direction to get to my office
E-mail: yangliu AT ntu.edu.sg
Office Tel: +65-67906706
New: Ph.D. Student Scholarship on topics related to Machine Learning (deep learning) on Cyber-security and Finance Analysis (2017 Jan or 2017 Aug Intake)
- 25 July 2016: Full paper accepted by IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing: "Battery-Aware Mobile Data Service"
- 13 July 2016: Full paper accepted by IEEE Transactions on Services Computing: "Architecture-Based Behavioral Adaptation with Generated Alternatives and Relaxed Constraints"
- 28 May 2016: Two full papers accepted by FSE 2016: "Proteus: Computing Disjunctive Loop Summary via Path Dependency Analysis" and "BinGo: Cross-Architecture Cross-OS Binary Search"
- 19 April 2016: Full paper accepted by ISSTA 2016: "Semantic Modelling of Android Malware for Effective Malware Comprehension, Detection and Classification".
- 15 March 2016: Journal paper accepted by IEEE Transactions on Very Large Scale Integration Systems: "A Fine-Grained Control Flow Integrity Approach Against Runtime Memory Attacks Using Hardware-Enhanced Architecture for Embedded Systems".
- 5 Feb 2016: Full paper accepted by AsiaCCS 2016: "Mystique: Evolving Android Malware for Auditing Anti-Malware Tools". (Acceptance rate: 73/350=20.9)
- 18 Dec 2015: Full paper accepted by TACAS 2016: "Reasoning About Information Flow Security of Separation Kernels with Channel-based Communication"
- 16 Dec 2015: Two full papers accepted by ICSE 2016: "Generating Performance Distributions via Probabilistic Symbolic Execution" and "Optimizing Selection of Competing Services with Probabilistic Hierarchical Refinement."
- 13 Nov 2015: Full paper accepted by AAAI 2015: "Is it Harmful when Advisors only Pretend to be Honest? "
- 3 Oct 2015: 2015 Best Paper Award for Journal of Software and Systems Modeling: "Formalizing and Verifying Stochastic System Architectures Using Monterey Phoenix", award letter
- 5 Aug 2015: Journal paper accepted by IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics & Security: "Semantics-based Online Malware Detection: Towards Efficient Real-time Protection Against Malware"
- 25 July 2015: Joined PC member of ASE 2016, submit your paper and visit Singapore in September 3-7, 2016.
- 18 July 2015: Full paper accepted by ASE 2015: "Interpolation Guided Compositional Verification"
- 27 May 2015: Full paper accepted by FSE 2015: "TLV: Abstraction through Testing, Learning and Validation"
- 1 May 2015: Journal paper accepted by ACM Computing Surveys: "Collaborative Security: A Survey and Taxonomy" PDF Download
- 29 April 2015: Full paper accepted by IJCAI 2015: "Quantifying Robustness of Trust Systems Against Collusive Unfair Rating Attacks Using Information Theory"
- 1 April 2015: Four full papers accepted by ISSTA 2015
- 24 March 2015: Two full papers accepted by FM 2015
- 28 Jan 2015: Two full Papers accepted by AAMAS 2015
- 9 Nov 2014: Full Paper accepted by AAAI 2015 "Automated Analysis of Commitment Protocols using Probabilistic Model Checking"
- 18 Sep 2014: Paper accepted by TSE "A Systematic Study on Explicit-state Non-Zenoness Checking for Timed Automata"
- 23 June 2014: Full paper accepted by ICSME 2014 "Clonepedia: Summarizing Code Clones by Common Syntactic Context for Software Maintenance" (40/210=19% acceptance rate)
- 20 June 2014: Four papers accepted by ICFEM 2014 (30% acceptance rate)
- 19 April 2014: Full paper accepted by CAV 2014 "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend: Partial Order Reduction for Timed Automata With Abstractions"
- 17 Feb 2014: Full paper accepted by FM 2014 Industry Track "MDP-based Reliability Analysis of an Ambient Assisted Living System"
- 17 Feb 2014: Demo paper accepted by ICSE 2014 "VeriWS: A Tool for Verification of Combined Functional and Non-functional Requirements of Web Service Composition" (15/41=36.5% acceptance rate)
- 14 Feb 2014: Demo paper accepted by AAMAS 2014 "An Extensive Model Checking Framework for Multi-agent Systems"
- 1 Feb 2014: Two papers accepted by FM 2014 "Formal Verification of Operational Transformation" and "TrustFound: Towards a Formal Foundation for Model Checking Trusted Computing Platforms" (38/135=28% acceptance rate)
- 16 Jan 2014: Paper accepted by ICSE 2014 "Detecting and Summarizing Differences across Multiple Instances of Code Clones" (99/495=20% acceptance rate)
- 28 Dec 2013: Paper accepted by WWW 2014 "Automated Runtime Recovery for QoS-based Service Composition" (84/650=12.9% acceptance rate)
- 21 Dec 2013: Paper accepted by TACAS 2014 "Language Inclusion Checking for Timed Automata" (26 out of 117 research papers: 22.2%)
- 29 Nov 2013: Paper accepted by TSE "Learning Assumptions for Compositional Verification of Timed Systems"
- 28 Nov 2013: tier 1 grant received "Bring the Advanced Model Checking Techniques to Real-world Problems"
- 4 Sep 2013: Paper accepted by APSEC 2013 "Multi-core Algorithms for LTL Verification"
- 19 Aug 2013: I am looking for both master and ph.d. students. Scholarship will be provided for ph.d. candidates only.
- 18 Aug 2013: we are orgnizing FM 2014 in Singapore. The CFP is ready now.
- 25 July 2013: three papers accepted by ASE 2013 (accept rate 43/317=13.6%)
- 21 June 2013: Tool paper accepted by FSE 2013 "USMMC: A Self-Contained Model Checker for UML State Machines"
- 19 June 2013: Four papers accepted by ICFEM 2013
- 5 June 2013: Tool Paper accepted by ATVA 2013 "CELL: A Compositional Verification Framework"
- 1 May 2013: Paper accepted by ISSTA 2013 "Combining Model Checking and Testing with an Application to Reliability Prediction and Distribution"
- 19 April 2013: Paper accepted by SPIN 2013 "Verifying a Quantitative Relaxation of Linearizability via Refinement"
- 4 April 2013: two paper accepted by iFM 2013 "Speed Up Verification in DTMC via Divide and Conquer" and "A Formal Semantics for the Complete Syntax of UML State Machines with Communications"
- 7 March 2013: Paper accepted by CAV 2013 "PSyHCoS: Parameter Synthesis for Hierarchical Concurrent Real-Time Systems"
- 26 Feb 2013: Awarded Nanyang Assistant Professor.
- 22 Jan 2013: PAT Tutorial "Build Your Own Model Checker in One Month" is accepted by ICSE 2013.
20 Nov 2012: I am looking for self-motivated Ph.D. students and research assistants on the area of formal methods, security, program analysis and software engineering.
Please email me with your CV if interested.
20 Nov 2012: Postdoc Research Fellow Positions on Model Checking and/or Security are Available!
I am currently looking for postdoc research fellow on model checking on security verification. All interested candidates are welcomed to apply. Kindly send your CV to me via email. The compensation package is highly competitive internationally. Details about the positions can be found HERE.
July 2005 - May 2010, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Ph.D. (CAP 4.56/5)
Thesis: Model Checking Concurrent and Real-time Systems: the PAT Approach
Supervisors: Dr. Dong JinSong and Dr. Rudy Setiono.
Nominated for best thesis.
July 2001 - Jun 2005, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Bachelor of Computing Science with Honour First Class. (CAP 4.83/5)
Dec 2000 - Jun 2001, National Institute of Education, Singapore
Intensive English training course.
Sep 2000 - Nov 2000, Zhe Jiang University, China
Electrical Engineering in an accelerated class. Received scholarship from Ministry of Education, Singapore after two months.
Awards and Scholarship
- Nanyang Assistant Professor 2013
- Best Paper Award: Yan Liu, Xian Zhang, Yang Liu, Jun Sun, Jin Song Dong, Jit Biswas and Mounir Mokhtari. Formal Analysis of Pervasive Computing Systems. The 17th IEEE International Conference on Engineering of Complex Computer Systems (ICECCS 2012), Paris, France, July 18 - 20, 2012
- Best Paper Award: The 4th IEEE International Conference on Secure Software Integration and Reliability Improvement (SSIRI 2010), 2010.
- Nominated for President's Science Award 2010 together with Dr JinSong Dong and Dr Jun Sun.
- Nominated for Best Ph.D. Thesis, NUS 2010.
Dean's Graduate Research Excellence Award 2009/2010
Research Achievement Award 2008/2009
Microsoft Asia Research Fellowship 2007
The annual Microsoft Fellowship Program is designed to support talented PhD students who have the potential to become future research leaders. Over the past seven years, 159 recipients have participated in the program. Fellowships have been awarded to outstanding students from more than 30 universities and research institutes throughout the Asia-pacific Region since 1999.
- Graduate Scholarship in National University of Singapore, 2005 - 2009.
Tata Consultancy Services Asia Pacific Medal and Prize
The second best graduate throughout the course of study for the Bachelor of Computing (Honours) in the School of Computing, NUS. (2nd of 800+ students with CAP 4.83/5).
No. 4 in Microsoft Imagine Cup Competition, Singapore, 2005 May
We are a gang of four: Guo Liang, Huang Wenfan, Liu Yang (team leader) and Ng Junping. We developed the eWorld System, which is a sign language capturing and interpretation system, supervised by Dr Huang Zhiyong.
- Place on Dean's List in academic season 2004/2005
- Place on Dean's List in academic season 2003/2004
- Place on Dean's List in academic season 2002/2003
- Place on Dean's List in academic season 2001/2002.
- Undergraduate Scholarship for PRC Students from MOE, 2000 - 2005.