Hello! I'm Wong Choon Yue (黄俊亿). I am a Research Fellow of the School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering (MAE) in the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore.
I have been educated at NTU where I received a Bachelor degree in Mechanical and Production Engineering (with a specialization in Mechatronics) in 2003. Later in 2007, I received a Masters degree in Smart Product Design and in 2013, a Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering from NTU. While pursuing my Masters degree, I was also employed as an engineer at TECH Semiconductor (now Micron Semiconductor Asia).
In my earlier years, I was at the Pei Hwa Presbyterian Primary School until I was 12, and then at the River Valley High School till I was 16. Prior to serving in the Singapore Armed Forces, I studied at the Jurong Junior College.
My Research and Interests
My research focuses mainly on interface design and human-robot interaction (HRI). My passion lies with the design of innovative and aesthetic robotic systems. I also love the process of realising my designs with my own hands and code.
I have developed a humanoid for social robotics called EDGAR. I have also developed robot grippers targeted at alleviating logistical challenges in hotels, hospitals and e-commerce warehouses. Click here if you would like to see a gripper that I've designed previously for the DHL Robotic Challenge 2017.
In my blog, I describe some of my experiences in robot building, deploying EDGAR, as well as life in general at NTU.
- "Social Robots and Human-Robot Interactions. 社交机器人和人机交互" at Chang'An University (长安大学), Xi'an, China. December 2018.
- "Global Art Forum: 'I Am Not A Robot' " at the ArtScience Museum, September 21-23, 2018.
- FutureHealth 2017. "Lion's Lair" presentation. November 2017.
- 2017 ACI Asia Business Summit. Panel discussion. October 2017.
- " Making Makers " at TEDxNTU. October 2017
- "With great autonomy, comes great uncertainty" at the A*Star one-north Festival, August 2017.
- Choon Yue Wong, Gerald Seet. (June 2017). Workload, Awareness and Automation in Multiple-Robot Supervision. International Journal for Advanced Robotic Systems. Open access. SAGE Publications Inc.
- Wee Ching Pang, Choon Yue Wong, Gerald Seet. (Apr 2016). Design and development for EDGAR - A telepresence humanoid for robot-mediated communication and social applications. IEEE International Conference on Control and Robotics Engineering (ICCRE 2016), Singapore.
- Viatcheslav Iastrebov, Choon Yue Wong, Wee Ching Pang, Gerald Seet. (Dec 2014). Motion tracking drone for extreme sports filming. ICSST14-Conference: Advanced Materials for Sports Technology. Singapore.
- Choon Yue Wong, Gerald Seet, Siang Kok Sim, Wee Ching Pang. (2013). A hierarchically structured collective of coordinating mobile robots supervised by a single human. Mobile Ad Hoc Robots and Wireless Robotic Systems: Design and Implementation, pp 162-185. IGI Global.
- Gerald Seet, Wee Ching Pang, Burhan, I-Ming Chen, Viatcheslav Iastrebov, William Gu and Choon Yue Wong. (Nov 2012). A design for a mobile robotic avatar-modular framework. 3DTV-Conference 2012. Capture, Transmission and Display of 3D Video. Zurich Switzerland.
- Gerald Seet, Wee Ching Pang, Burhan, Iastrebov Viatcheslav, William Gu, Choon Yue Wong. (2012). A Design for a Mobile Robotic Avatar - Modular Framework. 3DTV-Conference 2012: The True Vision, ETH Zurich.
- Choon Yue Wong, Gerald Seet, Siang Kok Sim. (2011). Multiple-robot systems for USAR: Key design attributes and deployment issues. International Journal of Advanced Robotic Systems, pp 85-101.
- Choon Yue Wong, Gerald Seet, Siang Kok Sim, Wee Ching Pang. (2010). Single-human multiple-robot systems for urban search and rescue: Justifications, design and testing. 11th International Conferece on Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision, ICARCV 2010, pp 579-584.
- Choon Yue Wong, Gerald Seet, Siang Kok Sim, Wee Ching Pang. (2010). A framework for area coverage and the visual search for victims in USAR with a mobile robot. IEEE Conference on SusTainable Utilization and Development in Engineering and Technology, STUDENT 2010, pp 112-118.
- Tel: (65) 6790 5568
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
- Youtube: choon yue wong
- Twitter: @WongChoonYue