LAM, Kwok Yan
BSc London, PhD Cambridge
School of Computer Science & Engineering
Nanyang Technological University
Professor Lam is a Professor of Computer Science at the Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore. He is currently the Director of NTU’s SPIRIT Smart Nation Research Centre, and the Program Chair (Secure Community) of the Graduate College of NTU. Professor Lam has been a Professor of the Tsinghua University, PR China (2002-2010) and a faculty member of the National University of Singapore and the University of London since 1990. He was a visiting scientist at the Isaac Newton Institute of the Cambridge University and a visiting professor at the European Institute for Systems Security. In 1997, he founded PrivyLink International Ltd, a spin-off company of the National University of Singapore, specializing in e-security technologies for homeland security and financial systems. In 2012, he co-founded Soda Pte Ltd which won the Most Innovative Start Up Award at the RSA 2015 Conference. In 1998, he received the Singapore Foundation Award from the Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry in recognition of his R&D achievement in Information Security in Singapore. Prof Lam received his B.Sc. (First Class Honours) from the University of London in 1987 and his Ph.D. from the University of Cambridge in 1990. His research interests include Distributed Systems, IoT Security Infrastructure and Cyber-Physical System Security, Distributed Protocols for Blockchain, Biometric Cryptography, Homeland Security and Cybersecurity.
· 2015- , Professor, School of Computer Science & Engineering, NTU
· 2002-2010, Professor, School of Software, Tsinghua University, China
· 1997-2002, Associate Professor, National University of Singapore
· 1995-1997, Senior Lecturer, National University of Singapore
· 1992-1995, Lecturer, National University of Singapore
· 1990-1992, Lecturer, Royal Holloway, University of London
· 1987-1990, Ph.D., Computer Laboratory, University of Cambridge, U.K.
· 1984-1987, B.Sc. in Computer Science (First Class Honours), University of London, U.K.
· SPRING Singapore Merit Award, SPRING Singapore, 2016
· Most Innovative Start-Up Award, RSA Conference, 2015
· Singapore Foundation Award (Research & Development), Japanese Chamber of Commerce and Industry, 1995
· Cambridge Hong Kong Scholarship, Cambridge Commonwealth Trust, 1987-1990
· Overseas Research Student Award, British Government, 1987-1990
· Chair, Cyber Security WG, SDE Technology Roadmap, Infocomm and Media Development Authority, Singapore, 2018 – 2019
· Technical Committee Member, SDE Technology Roadmap, Infocomm and Media Development Authority, Singapore, 2018 – 2019
· Reviewer for IEEE Access
· Reviewer for IEEE Network
· Reviewer for Journal, Nature
· Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology
· Reviewer for IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems
· External Examiner for Bachelor of Computer Science (Cyber Security) (Hons.) Programme, College of Computer Science and Information Technology, Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN, Malaysia, January 2018 – December 2019
· External Reviewer, Singapore Ministry of Education (MOE) Innovation Fund Evaluation Panel (IFEP), August 2017
· Principal Investigator, Smart Nation IoT Security Reference Architecture Study, funded by Cyber Security Agency of Singapore, Ministry of Communications and Information (S$780,000), May 2018 – May 2019.
· Co-Lead Principal Investigator, Risk Assessment for Industrial Control Systems, National Cybersecurity R&D (NCR) Grant Call 2016, funded by National Research Foundation (S$1,211,520), October 2017 – September 2019.
· Co-Lead Principal Investigator, Cybersecurity Protocol and Mechanism for e-Logistics of Dangerous Goods Tracking Using Blockchain, National Cybersecurity R&D (NCR) Grant Call 2016, funded by National Research Foundation (S$989,280), September 2017 – August 2019.
· Lead Principal Investigator, Smart Platform Infrastructure Research on Integrative Technologies (SPIRIT), Translational R&D for Application to Smart Nation, funded by National Research Foundation (S$11,000,000), September 2016 – March 2021.
· Lead Principal Investigator, Strategic Centre for Research in Privacy-Preserving Technologies & Systems, funded by Infocomm and Media Development Authority (S$10,000,000), November 2018 – October 2013.
· Principal Investigator, ExPReSS: Extensible Platform for Retrieval and Summarization Support, NTUITIVE GAP FUND GRANT (S$250,000), July 2017 – March 2019.
· P. Vikramkumar, A. Chattopadhyay and K.Y. Lam. “Secure and Lightweight Compressive Sensing using Stream Cipher”, IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems II, IEEE, Volume 65, Issue 3, pp. 371-375, March 2018. Doi: 10.1109/TCSII.2017.2715659.
· F. Li, K.Y. Lam, J. Wang, X. Liu, K. Zhao and L. Wang. “Joint Pricing and Power Allocation for Multibeam Satellite Systems with Dynamic Game Model”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE, Volume 67, Issue 3, pp. 2398 – 2408, March 2018. Doi: 10.1109/TVT.2017.2771770.
· L. Wang, F. Li, X. Liu, K.Y. Lam, Z. Na and H. Peng. “Spectrum Optimization for Cognitive Satellite Communications with Cournot Game Model”, IEEE Access, IEEE, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp. 1624 – 1634, 2018. Doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2017.2779804.
· A. Burg and A. Chattopadhyay and K.Y. Lam. “Wireless Communication and Security Issues for Cyber-Physical Systems and the Internet-of-Things”, Proceedings of the IEEE, IEEE, Volume: 106, Issue: 1, pp. 38 – 60, Jan. 2018. Doi: 10.1109/JPROC.2017.2780172.
· F. Li, X. Liu, K.Y. Lam, Z. Na, J. Hua, J. Wang and L. Wang. “Spectrum Allocation with Asymmetric Monopoly Model for Multibeam-Based Cognitive Satellite Networks”, IEEE Access, IEEE, Volume 6, Issue 1, pp. 9713 – 9722, 2018. Doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2797278.
· F. Li, K.Y. Lam and L. Wang. “Power allocation in cognitive radio networks over Rayleigh-fading channels with hybrid intelligent algorithms”, Wireless Networks, Volume 24, Issue 7, pp. 2397 – 2407, Oct 2018. Doi:10.1007/s11276-017-1476-3.
· F. Li, K.Y. Lam, L. Wang, Z. Na, X. Liu and Q. Pan. “Caching Efficiency Enhancement at Wireless Edges with Concerns on User's Quality of Experience”, Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 2018, Article ID 1680641, 10 pages, 2018. Doi:10.1155/2018/1680641.
· F. Li, K.Y. Lam, X. Li, X. Liu, L. Wang and C.M. Leung. “Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks with Heterogeneous Users: How to Price the Spectrum?”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE, Volume 67, Issue 6, pp 5203 – 5216, June 2018, Doi: 10.1109/TVT.2018.2818749.
· S. Badsha, X. Yi, I. Khalil, D. Liu, S. Nepal, E. Bertino and K.Y. Lam. “Privacy Preserving Location-Aware Personalized Web Service Recommendations”, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, 22 May 2018, Doi: 10.1109/TSC.2018.2839587.
· F. Li, K.Y. Lam, N. Zhao, X. Liu, K. Zhao, and L. Wang. “Spectrum Trading for Satellite Communication Systems with Dynamic Bargaining,” IEEE Transactions on Communications, IEEE, 17 May 2018, Doi: 10.1109/TCOMM.2018.2837909.
· L. Wang, K.Y. Lam, M. Xiong, F. Li, X. Liu and J. Wang. “Spectrum Pricing for Cognitive Radio Networks with User's Stochastic Distribution”, Wireless Networks, Springer US, 16 July 2018, https://doi.org/10.1007/s11276-018-1799-8.
· X. Yi, K.Y. Lam and D. Gollmann. “A New Blind ECDSA Scheme for Bitcoin Transaction Anonymity”, Cryptology ePrint Archive, Report 2018/660, 2018, https://eprint.iacr.org/2018/660.
· F. Li, K.Y. Lam, Z. Sheng, X. Zhang, K. Zhao and L. Wang. “Q-Learning-Based Dynamic Spectrum Access in Cognitive Industrial Internet of Things”, Wireless Networks and Applications, Springer US, 11 September 2018, DOI 10.1007/s11036-018-1109-9.
· S. Badsha, X. Yi, I. Khalil, S. Nepal, D. Liu and K.Y. Lam. “Privacy Preserving User based Web Service Recommendations”, IEEE Access, IEEE, 5 October, 2018, DOI 10.1109/ACCESS.2018.2871447.
· A. Chattopadhyay, K.Y. Lam. “Autonomous Vehicle: Security by Design”, October, 2018, arXiv preprint arXiv:1810.00545.
· K.Y. Lam. Securing the Internet of Thing: Cybersecurity from IT to OT, Chapter in Navigating the Digital Age, 35-44, Forbes Media, 2016.
· V. Sidorov, W.K. Ng, K.Y. Lam, M.F. Bin Mohamed Salleh. “Implications of Cyber Threats for the Design of Unmanned Air Traffic Management System”, The 2017 International Conference on Unmanned Aircraft Systems (ICUAS’17), FL, USA, June 13-16 2017.
· S Sau, J. Haj-Yahya, M.M. Wong, K.Y. Lam and A. Chattopadhyay. “Survey of Secure Processors”, 2017 International Conference on Embedded Computer Systems: Architectures, Modeling, and Simulation (SAMOS 2017), 17-20 July, 2017, Pythagorion, Greece, IEEE. Doi: 10.1109/SAMOS.2017.8344637.
· M. Raikwar, S. Mazumdar, S. Ruj, S.S. Gupta, A. Chattopadhyay, K.Y. Lam. “A Blockchain Framework for Insurance Processes”, 1st International Workshop on Blockchains and Smart Contracts (BSC) in conjunction with the 9th IFIP International Conference on New Technologies, Mobility and Security (IFIP NTMS), February 26-28 2018, Paris, France, IEEE. Doi: 10.1109/NTMS.2018.8328731.
· V. Pudi, A. Chattopadhyay, K.Y. Lam. “Efficient and Lightweight Quantized Compressive Sensing Using Mu-Law”, 2018 IEEE International Symposium on Circuits and Systems (ISCAS 2018), May 27-30, 2018, Florence, Italy, IEEE. Doi: 10.1109/ISCAS.2018.8351505.
· A. Chattopadhyay and K.Y. Lam. “Security of autonomous vehicle as a cyber-physical system,” The 7th International Symposium on Embedded Computing and System Design (ISED), Durgapur, 18-20 December, 2017, pp. 1-6, IEEE. doi: 10.1109/ISED.2017.8303906.
· Y.W. Zhao, C. Wang, C.H. Chi, K.Y. Lam and S. Wang. “A Comparative Study of Transactional and Semantic Approaches for Predicting Cascades on Twitter”, Proceedings of the 27th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI -18), July 13-19, 2018, Stockholm, Sweden, pp 1212-1218, doi:10.24963/ijcai.2018/169.
· S. Bose, M. Raikwar, D. Mukhopadhyay, A. Chattopadhyay, K.Y. Lam. “BLIC: A Blockchain Protocol for Manufacturing and Supply Chain Management of ICs”, The 2018 IEEE International Conference on Blockchain (Blockchain-2018), July 30 – 3 August 2018, Halifax, Canada.
· Y. Huang, A.W.K. Kong and K.Y. Lam. “From the Perspective of CNN to Adversarial Iris Images”, IEEE 9th International Conference on Biometrics: Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS 2018), October 22-25, 2018, Los Angeles, California, U.S.
· Lam Kwok Yan, et. al. Method for Generating Cryptographic Key from Biometric Data, Granted on 30 October 2009.
· Lam Kwok Yan, et. al. Methods of Robust Multi-Factor Authentication and Authorization and Systems Thereof, Granted on 31 July 2012.
· Lam Kwok Yan, et. al. Method and System of Secure Computing Environment having Auditable Control of Data Movement, Granted on 31 July 2013.
· Lam Kwok Yan, et. al. Method and System of Secure Computer File Management and Storage having High Level of Usability, Granted on 10 March 2016.