ML0002 Career Power Up! Is a 13 week credit-bearing online self-paced course covering 5 career modules. ML0001 Absolute Basic for Career is the pre-requisite of ML0002 Career Power Up!.
This module aims to polish students by furnishing them with intermediate career skills. The final year is the crucial year for undergraduates to seek, impress and land a good job. Beyond just job applications which have been covered by ML0001 Absolute Basics for Career, it is essential students are able to transit well into the workplace, make a good impression and conduct themselves in an upright and professional manner at work.
This module trains students with skills to transit and works effectively in their jobs. This will be done through training their networking and dining etiquette and furnishing them with business communication and resiliency in tackling their first job. In addition, this module will have a stronger focus on work values and ethics.
Firstly, students will understand and appreciate the importance of networking to job application and career journeys and be equipped with the know-how to identify, navigate, behave and excel in networking situations.
The next topic will impart to the students dining etiquette, specifically relating to work dinners, lunches, buffets and receptions, and how it impacts first impressions and career opportunities.
Subsequently, students will learn about skills aimed at enabling them to act confidently in any workplace situations. This will include imparting to them processes and skills in managing conflicts, making plans, solving problems and more.
Progressing further, students will understand the objectives of having and adhering to work ethics and how professionalism will help them in their careers.
Lastly, to enable students to make a smooth transition to the working world, this course will impart the skills behind coping and succeeding in a new workplace.
Learning Outcomes for Each Modules
|Module||Module Title||Learning Outcomes||Estimated Training Hours|
|1||Networking||1. Define and understand the importance of networking?|
2. Understand and apply the process of networking
|2.||Dining Etiquette||1. Comprehend the Dos & Don'ts for Different Types of Dining|
2. Apply modern day dining protocols effectively
|3||Effective Business Communication||1. Understand the importance of building relationships with different personalities|
2. Understand cross-cultural diversity: Differences in cultural or diversity at workplace
3. Apply effective communication techniques to consider social and cultural differences to clarify and respond to information received
4. Appreciate negotiation and resolution of workplace conflicts
5. Use of business Etiquette i.e. handshake, meeting etiquette
|4|| Professional & Work Ethics||1. Understand the importance of being ethical at the workplace|
2. Identify different types of workplace ethical dilemmas scenarios
3. Demonstrate how to manage and counter ethical situations professionally
4. Appraise obstacles to good ethical decision-making
5. Embrace and apply NTU Honour Code
6. Apply best practices for handling and tackling ethical situations in corporate setting
|5||Tackling the First Job||1. Understand expectations from your first job?|
2. Appreciate the importance of transition from studying to working
3. Identify and appreciate importance of the mindset shift
4. Understand what effective competencies are
5. Appreciate the importance of professionalism when connecting with others
6. Identify and apply 'positioning' for yourself for the next stage of career development
Students are required to go through the 13-hour course by viewing online lectures and completing assessments in a sequential order, participate in online quizzes and discussions and complete required assignments. This is a compulsory GER-CORE module worth 1 Academic Unit (AU).
Criteria for Pass
To pass, students will need to attain complete all 5 modules and attain 80% marks through the assessment required.
All students are encouraged to read widely to learn from the various sources of information such as journal articles, newspaper, periodicals and resources at job portals.
Schedule of course roll-out
Please view below the scheduled roll-out of the course. This course will be made available to the colleges and its students as stated in the table.
|School||Year of study||Semester Offered|
Asian School of the Environment (ASE)
School of Biological Sciences (SBS)
School of Computer Science and Engineering (SCSE)
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE)
School of Materials Science and Engineering (MSE)
School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering (MAE)
School of Communication & Information (WKWSCI)
NIE Physical Education & Sports Science (PESS)
|Year 3||AY 2016/2017 Semester 1 (August 2016)|
Starting the course
Students eligible for the course in each semester will be pre-enrolled into the course. Please log in to NTULearn (http://www.ntulearn.ntu.edu.sg
) and start on ML0002: Career Power Up
course from there.