That is the average amount of time that hiring managers spend glancing through each resume that lands on their desks. 30 seconds, or less, is the amount of time you have to make an amazing first impression – or be shoved into the "reject" pile.
How do you create your resume and cover letter to be an effective marketing tool that scores you the interview? You need to take the time and energy to construct a powerful resume. This workshop provides you with tools to create an effective resume and offers some insights from the recruiters’ perspective.
- Components of Resume
- Essential resume writing techniques and format
- Cover letter structures
All years. Students are encouraged to bring a copy of resume for the workshop and be prepared for hands-on activities
Increase Your Success at Interviews
Interviews can be daunting, especially for students. Increase your interview success rate through this workshop. You will learn about the different types of interviews and the various techniques that can be used to answer questions. Pick up tips on how to answer ‘difficult’ questions such as "tell me about yourself" and "what are your weaknesses”.
- Preparing for interviews
- Tips on creating a great first impression through professional grooming
- Personal Stocktake for unique points
- Non-verbal communication
- Various types of interview questions
- Technique to answer tough interview questions
Up Your Personal Brand Value
In today's competitive society, branding isn't optional. It is your reputation. When you learn how to brand yourself, your value immediately skyrockets and people see you differently. Communicating your brand effectively helps you build closer relationships, ensure corporate success and achieve professional satisfaction.
This workshop is for you if you are serious about building a powerful personal brand and leveraging on it both online and offline for their careers. By the end of this workshop, you will understand the importance of personal branding, and more importantly, you will learn how to create one that resonates with your audience, grow it and manage it well.
- Discover the elements of your authentic personal brand to send the "right" signals to your prospective employer
- Package and promote yourself professionally so that you gain an advantage over your competitors
- Attract more attention and opportunities so that you become the de facto brand of choice
- Adopt the right strategies when it comes to branding yourself online via the various social media platforms
Besides lectures, you will be involved in hands-on practice, pair work, and group discussions. Please bring along your laptops for the workshop.
Network Your Way to Opportunities
In today's corporate arena, building strong networks can make a huge difference to your career advancement. Networking is about increasing your contact base, building relationships and expanding your circles of influence as an essential on-going process for progressive professionals. Being well connected can make a difference to your personal and professional effectiveness. It also enhances your position for a meaningful and rewarding career path.
Fortunately, "networking" is a skill that is not rocket-science. Developing it into a comfortable habit for life can be learned! In this workshop, master practical steps you can acquire to effectively grow your network, making it a precious resource you can tap on whenever you need to grow beyond the confines of campus or career life.
- Understand networking principles and concepts
- Know the importance and benefits of networking for job searching and as a life skill
- Learn the keys to effective networking
- Learn the practical networking skills and apply them
- Prepare to make the most of the networking and career-related events
- Understand the power of online networking platforms and online presence
Year 1 students onwards
Maximise Your Internship
Internship is an opportunity for you to build work skills and experience the industry and workplace. Learn to maximise your internship and get the best from this experience.
This workshop will help you gain clarity on your personal reasons for doing an internship. As your internship is a great platform to build work skills, you will learn a structure to distinct the skills to acquire. There will also be sharing on some ethics to take note and how to end your internship on a good note.
- Planning Phase
◦ Why do you want an Internship?
◦ What are employers looking for?
◦ What skills do you want to build
◦ How does a good intern look like
◦ What to look out?