With more students wanting to do their attachment overseas, our office has established links with a number of overseas universities under a Reciprocal Exchange Programme to exchange students for attachment. Many students have benefited from this arrangement. Our partners for this programme include the following universities/institutions:
- City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Ecole Generaliste d’ Igenieurs de Marseille, France
- Fachhochschule Bochum, Germany
- Fachhochschule Esslingen, Germany
- Fachhochschule Kiel, Germany
- INSA Lyon, France
- National Taiwan University, Taiwan
- San Diego State University, USA
- Suranaree University of Technology, Thailand
- Technical University of Munich, Germany
- University of Alberta, Canada
- University of Manchester, UK
- University of Strathclyde, UK
- University of Manchester, UK
- University of Western Ontario, Canada
- University of Technology Compeiegne, France
- Universiti Utara Malaysia, Malaysia
How does it work?
Under this programme, the overseas universities and NTU undertake to exchange equal number of students for attachment over a specified time frame.
How can You, the Employer, help?
As an employer, if you are able to take in students from overseas universities, it would help us to increase the number of NTU students who can be placed overseas through the overseas universities. By doing this you will contribute to the internationalisation of Singapore's economy by creating more opportunities to prepare our students for overseas postings upon graduation.
Types of Students and Length of Attachment
Organisations participate in our Reciprocal Exchange Programme can expect two types of overseas students:
- Overseas students who follow the same attachment arrangements as NTU students.
These students may have also spent one semester in NTU under the academic exchange. The procedure for attachment for this group of students is the same as that of local attachment for NTU students. See "Local Attachment" for more information.
- Overseas students who do not follow the same attachment arrangement as NTU students.
These students come to Singapore only for practical exchange only. Their attachment period may vary according to the requirements of their respective universities. They will be placed to organisations under NTU's Work Experience Programme. The organisations are exempted from paying CPF contributions and their allowance are not subjected to any income tax in Singapore as long as there is no employment contract between the student and the organisation. The procedure for attachment for this group of students are stated in the following paragraph.
The procedure for overseas students who do not follow the same attachment arrangement as NTU students is as follows:
- Organisation interested to take in student from overseas universities to contact NTU;
- NTU sends resumes of student applicants to organisation for review;
- NTU sends letter of offer to selected student;
- Selected student send letter of acceptance to NTU;
- Organisation nominates supervisor and NTU nominates academic staff as tutor (if required by the overseas university) to monitor periodically the students' progress and assess his/her performance;
- Students submit periodic records and formal report of his/her work experience for assessment if required by the organisation and/or the overseas university.
Work Permits & Training Passes
Organisations or students will have to apply for the relevant pass from the Ministry of Manpower as follows :
- Training Employment Pass (TEP) - organisations will have to apply the TEP for the students.
- Work Holiday Pass (WHP) - apply by the students (applicable only to universities and equivalent institutions in Australia, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States).
Both full and partial sponsorship are welcome. Full sponsorship covers round trip airfare, board and lodging, allowance or salary and adequate insurance.