The University may grant semester leave of absence on the following grounds:
Medical - application must be supported by a medical practitioner
- Personal - refers to grounds other than medical e.g. to participate in competitions and sports, to work or start up a company, or to attend to personal matters
Students who are pursuing the double degree programme in Biomedical Sciences and Chinese Medicine do not have to apply for leave of absence to continue with the second part of their double degree programme at the Beijing University of Chinese Medicine.
Back to Top
Please read the following notes before you submit your application (including extension) for Semester Leave of Absence
Students are to apply for their leave online via StudentLINK> Administrative Matters> Semester Leave of Absence or click here, and upload the relevant supporting documents. Should you have technical issues applying for your semester leave application online, please write to email@example.com with the error screenshot(s) immediately.
- Students who hold scholarships that are administered by the Office of Admissions are
to inform the office at firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the application for leave of absence to
ascertain if there are any funding implications / impact on their scholarship / violation of any
- Students are responsible for understanding the implications of a leave of absence on their wellbeing and progress towards the degree. A student planning a leave of absence from their programme of study is strongly encouraged to discuss the matter with the School Academic Counsellor/ Pastoral Care Manager/ NTU Medical Centre/Student Wellbeing Centre, where relevant, so that appropriate advice could be given.
- International students are advised that taking a leave of absence from their studies in the University may affect their Student Pass status.
- Students who are applying for leave on medical grounds must also submit a doctor's letter/ memo stating the period of leave recommended for their recuperation. Students are to indicate their full name, matric number and online application reference number on the original medical memo and submit this to the School for verification within 5 working days of the leave application. Otherwise, the application may be rejected.
- Applications for semester leave of absence needs to be submitted to the School 5 working days before the start of the examination period for each semester or latest by the last teaching week of the semester, otherwise the application will not be accepted. Similarly, incomplete applications without the relevant supporting documents will not be accepted.
- Student should not register and take courses in the semester(s) that they are granted leave of absence. All registered courses, including Final Year Project, will be dropped once the leave is approved.
- For semester leave, students may apply and be granted up to one year of leave. Students need to submit another application when the leave period is ending if an extension of leave is required. This extension of leave is subject to approval by the School.
- Students may be permitted to take up to 3 years of leave cumulatively that are not counted towards their candidature period over the entire duration of their studies. They are however discouraged to consecutively extend their leave up to the maximum cumulative leave period as they may find it difficult to get back to studies after a long break or encounter curricular changes when they return from leave. Students should seek the Schools’ advice on the remaining courses that they should take to complete their degree requirements if they were to cross over to a new curriculum structure.
- If rules relating to the students’ candidature are amended during the period of leave of absence, students must expect to be governed under the amended rules upon their return from leave.
- Students are only deemed to have been granted leave of absence upon the issue of the official notification of approval by the University to their NTU email account. The University reserves the right to refuse or revoke an approved leave of absence, should the student be found to have provided any information that is false or misleading.
- Students who are not granted semester leave of absence but do not register for classes by the second teaching week of the semester and absent themselves from the University shall be deemed to have withdrawn from the University and shall have no automatic right for re-admission to the University.
- International students are required to surrender their student pass to the Immigration Checkpoints Authority once the leave is granted.
For enquiries on semester leave of absence, please email:
Back to Top
Students who apply for leave
after Teaching Week 2 of the semester are required to pay the tuition and miscellaneous fees for that entire semester.
A non-refundable administrative charge of $53.50 (inclusive of GST) per semester will be levied upon approval of leave of absence (except for medical leave) in order to retain the student’s name in the matriculation register. The same administrative fee also applies to BMS students who are completing approved courses and paying tuition fees to Beijing University of Chinese Medicine (BUCM). This administrative fee will still apply even if a student subsequently opts to withdraw from the University after the leave is granted.
Back to Top
Return from Semester Leave
Students are to automatically resume their studies after their period of leave expires and register for courses. The procedures for resumption of studies are as follows:
1. For students who were granted semester leave of absence on medical grounds, they are required
to submit to the Office of Academic Services a letter/ memo from a recognised medical
practitioner certifying that they are fit to resume studies before they are allowed to register
courses. For international students, the certification must be issued by the NTU Medical Centre
even if they have been issued one from a medical practitioner in their own country.
2. For the other students, they are to register for their courses by the registration dates scheduled
for their programme. Click here for the Schedule for Registration of Courses.
For students intending to extend their semester leave of absence, they can do so via StudentLINK> Administrative Matters> Semester Leave of Absence and upload the relevant supporting documents.
Students who fail to complete the above procedures to resume studies or do not apply to extend their leave by Teaching Week 2 of the returning semester will be deemed to have withdrawn from the University.
For students who may be experiencing emotional or psychological issues, and would like to receive professional counselling, they may contact the Student Wellbeing Centre at 6790 4462 or email:
email@example.com. For more information, please visit the website
Back to Top