1. Students reading for a higher degree by research pursue an independent but supervised research in an approved field of advanced study, at the end of which a thesis is submitted for examination.
2. Students are required to submit the thesis in a form ready and acceptable for examination before the expiry of their maximum candidature. Those who fail to do so will be deemed to be no longer interested to continue with the programme and their candidature will lapse. Their names will be removed from the register of higher degree candidates.
3. Students are required to submit their theses (in PDF format with maximum file size limit of 60MB) for examination through the online system Thesis Submission available in GSLink.
4. The thesis must be preceded by the following in the order given, all of which must be bound with the thesis:
5. Prior to submission through the online system, students should have cleared their thesis with their supervisor to ensure that they are in an acceptable form for examination.
6. Students should cater time allowance for their supervisor to endorse their thesis submissions. Minimally one week allowance for supervisor's endorsement is advised.
7. The date on which the supervisor endorses the thesis to be in an acceptable form for examination shall be the date to determine the student's liability of tuition fees.
|Before or within Teaching Week 2 of a semester||Not liable for tuition fees for the semester|
|Teaching Week 3 of semester till 30 September; OR Teaching Week 3 of semester till 31 March||Liable for tuition fees for first half of Semester 1 or Semester 2 respectively|
|After 30 September or 31 March ||Liable for tuition fees for entire Semester 1 or Semester 2 respectively|
* Students who submit their thesis for examination during their leave of absence or in the semester immediately upon their return from their full-semester leave shall be liable for fees for the entire semester in which the thesis is submitted, even if the thesis is submitted within Teaching Week 2 of the semester.
8. For research scholars, the last day of award is the supervisor's endorsement date.
9. With effect from AY2018-19, all full-time students will be liable for the Health Service Fee until the conferment of their degree. For further clarification, please approach One Stop @ SAC for assistance.
10. Students admitted before AY2017-18 are required to pay an examination fee when they submit their thesis, unless the examination fee is covered under the terms of the research scholarship and the thesis is submitted within the prescribed scholarship period. The examination fee is $214.00 for PhD student and $160.50 for Master's student. For students admitted in AY2017-18 & onwards, the examination fee is inclusive in student's billing.
11. In general, a PhD thesis requires at least three independent examiners and a Master's thesis requires two independent examiners.
12. For first examination of thesis, examiners are given 2 months to complete the thesis examination and submit the evaluation report. For re-examination, examiners are normally given 2 weeks. Office of Academic Services will send all examiners' reports to student
through the School upon receipt of reports from all examiners.
13. Students should not, under any circumstances, communicate with any examiner on thesis examination and amendments.
14. In addition to being examined on the thesis, a student for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy must pass an oral examination on the subject matter of the thesis and other related subjects. The oral examination will be arranged and conducted by the School after thesis examination is completed.