Nanyang Technological University

Do I require a licence to use, store, transport hazardous materials?

Under the Fire Safety (Petroleum and Flammable Materials) Regulation 2005, import, transport and storage of petroleum and flammable material (P&FM) are under SCDF Licensing Control. Anyone who intends to import, transport or store petroleum or flammable materials beyond the stipulated exemption quantities are required to apply for a licence.

Licensable Petroleum and Flammable Material

Chemicals regulated under the Fire Safety (Petroleum & Flammable Materials) Regulations 2005 are divided into 3 groups: Petroleum, Flammable Materials and Mixtures that contain petroleum and / or flammable materials.

  • Petroleum
  1. Class 0    - Liquefied Petroleum Gas
  2. Class I    - Flash Point less than 23ºC (74ºF)
  3. Class II   - Flash Point between 23ºC to 61ºC (74ºF  to 141ºF)  
  4. Class III  - Flash Point between 61ºC to 93ºC (141ºF to 199ºF)

* Class III only Diesel is a Licensable Product.

 b.         Flammable Materials

The regulated flammable materials are based on the gazetted list in the Fire Safety (Amendment) Act 2004. There are a total of 237 groups of chemicals in the current list. This list of flammable materials is subjected to review periodically. Click on the link to download the Complete List of Licensable Products.

 c.         Mixtures

Any mixture that contained component of petroleum and/ or flammable materials and has a flash point less than 61ºC (141ºF) is regulated by SCDF.

Exempted P&FM License Products

1.   Adhesives

2.   Cigarette lighters and portable gas lighters

3.   Cosmetic and beauty products including hair styling products

4.   Food and beverages including beer, wine and liquor

5.   Insecticides and pesticides

6.   Lacquer solvents

7.   Lubricants

8.   Medicines

9.   Paints

10. Pharmaceutical Products

11. Varnishes

Maximum Quantity allowed P&FM allowed to be stored without storage license

a.         Class 0 Petroleum  

Type of Storage

Storage Permitted

Private Dwelling House

Not more than 30Kg in not more than 2 cylinders.

Eating Place

Not more than 30Kg stall in the eating place (whether occupied or not), subject to a maximum quantity of not more than 200Kg to be stored at that eating place.


Not more than 200Kg


Not more than 300Kg per factory

b.         Any Other Classes of Petroleum

Type of Storage

Storage Permitted

Private Dwelling House

Class I – Not more than 20liters
Class II – Not more than 200liters
Class III – Not more than 200liters


Class I – Not more than 400liters
Class II – Not more than 1000liters
Class III – Not more than 1500liters

c.         Flammable Materials

The exemption quantities for the 237 classes of Flammable Materials are in the following folder. Click on the link to download the Exemption Quantities for Flammable Materials.

d.         P&FM Mixtures

Mixed storage or keeping of any petroleum and flammable material, or more than one flammable material, in separate containers or compartments within any premises shall be exempted from the requirement of a license if:

i.  All substances are solids, their aggregate weight does not exceed 20Kg.

ii.  All substances are liquids, their aggregate volume does not exceed 40liters.

iii. All substances are gaseous, their aggregate weight does not exceed 10Kg.

iv. The substances are in mixed states, their aggregate weight does not exceed 20Kg.

v. The exemption quantity for diesel storage license at construction is not more than 1500liters. This is on condition that only diesel and no other petroleum / flammable materials are being stored.

vi. Flammable chemicals, be it a pure or waste chemical, is subjected to same SCDF fire safety requirements for storage.

For more information, please refer to SCDF Website on licensing. 

© 2012 Nanyang Technological University

CopyrightDisclaimerPrivacy Statement
Reg. No. 200604393R