Professor Foo Shou Boon, Schubert
PhD (Mechanics of Materials Department), University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK,
MBA, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK,
BSc (Hons), Mechanical Engineering, University of Strathclyde, Glasgow, UK
Deputy Associate Provost (Information and Knowledge)
Office of Information, Knowledge and Library Services
Lee Wee Nam Library, level 4
Tel: (65) 6790 5207 Fax: (65) 6791 4637
Schubert leads and directs the library to provide and sustain University’s information services including overseeing the University’s development, integration and archival of learning resources, research data and user-generated content repositories, and knowledge portals to support teaching and research, including out-of-class activities.
These resources will be integrated to the learning and research resources in NTU libraries and beyond. He also drives the effort to better understand user needs and aspirations, and ICT opportunities that leverage NTU’s information and knowledge assets, as well as oversee the development of new learning spaces and hubs for exploration and test-bedding of ideas.
Currently, he is also Professor of Information Science at the Wee Kim Wee School of Communication & Information. His past appointments include Director of the Centre of Social Media Innovations for Communities (2012 – 2016), the founding Director of the University Scholars Programme, and Associate Dean of the College of Humanities, Arts, & Social Sciences (2007 - 2012).
An independent 2006 study of scholarly research authorship from the Asia Pacific region in top library and information science journals for the period 1967 to 2005 by Park (2006)* ranked Schubert as the most contributed author in the top 20 journals and most contributed author in information science journals (as ranked by ISI (Institute for Scientific Information) Journal Citation Reports' impact factors in the Information and Science journal categories).
* Park, T.K. (2006). Authorship from the Asia and Pacific Region in top Library and Information Science journals. Proc.
Asia-Pacific conference on library & information science education & practice (A-LIEP 2006). Singapore, April 3-6, 555-564).
Internet technology, multimedia technology, multilingual information retrieval, digital libraries, information and knowledge management, information literacy social media innovations
- Li, J., Theng, Y.L., & Foo, S. (2016).
Effect of exergames on depression: A systematic review and meta-analaysis,
Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 19(1), 34-42. [IF: 2.182 (2016)]
- Lwin, M. O., Vijaykumar, S., Foo, S., Fernando, O. N. N., Lim, G., Panchapakesan, C. K., & Wimalaratne, P. (2016).
Social media-based civic engagement solutions for dengue prevention in Sri Lanka: Results of receptivity assessment.
Health Education Research, 31(1), 1-11.
- Foo, S., Majid, S., Mokhtar, I.A., Zhang, X., Chang, Y.K., Luyt, B., & Theng, Y.L. (2014). Information literacy skills of secondary school students in Singapore,
Aslib Journal of Information Management, 66(1), 54-76.
- Li, J., Theng, Y.L., & Foo, S. (2014).
Game-based digital interventions for depression therapy: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 17(8), 519-527.
- Lwin, M. O., Vijaykumar. S., Fernando, O. N. N., Cheong, S. A., Rathnayake, V. S., Lim. G., Theng, Y. L., Foo, S., & Chaudhuri, S. (2014).
A 21st century approach to tackling dengue: Crowdsourced surveillance, predictive mapping and tailored communication.
Acta Tropica, 130, 100-107.
- Foo, S., Zhang, X., Chang, Y.K., Majid, S., Mokhtar, I.A., Sin, J., & Theng, Y.L. (2013). Information literacy skills of humanities, arts and social science tertiary students in Singapore.
Reference & User Services Quarterly, 53(1), 40-50.
- Chowdhury, G, & Foo, S. (2012).
Digital libraries and information access: Research perspectives, Facet Publishing, UK
- Mokhtar, I. A., Majid, S., Foo, S., Zhang, X., Theng, Y.L., Chang, Y.K. & Luyt, B. (2012).
Evidence-based practice and related information literacy skills of nurses in Singapore: An exploratory case study,
Health Informatics Journal, 18(1), 12-25.
- Zhang, X., Majid. S., & Foo, S. (2012). Environmental scanning – An emerging discipline for LIS education. In Spinks, A. & Singh, D. (Eds)
Library and Information Science Trends and Research: Asia-Oceania. Emerald LIS Book Series UK, 124-147.
- Zhang, X., Majid, S. & Foo, S. (2012).
Perceived environmental uncertainty, information literacy and environmental scanning – Towards a refined framework,
Information Research, 17(2), paper 515.
- Foo, S., Majid, S., Mokhtar, I.A., Zhang, X., Luyt, B., Chang Y.K., & Theng Y.L. (2011). Nurses’ perception of evidence-based practice in National University Hospital of Singapore,
Journal of Continuing Education in Nursing, 42(11), 522-528.
- Majid, S., Foo, S., Luyt, B., Zhang, X., Theng, Y.L., Chang Y.K., & Mokhtar, I.A (2011).
Adopting evidence-based practice in clinical decision-making: Nurses’ perceptions, knowledge and barriers.
Journal of the Medical Library Association, 99(3), 229-236.
- Zhang, X., Majid, S., & Foo, S. (2010). Environment scanning: An application of information literacy skills at the workplace.
Journal of Information Science, 36(6), 719-732.
- Ding, Y., Jacob, E., Zhang, Z., Foo S., Yan, E., George, N., & Guo, L. (2009). Perspectives on social tagging.
Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology, 60(12), 2388-2401.
- Foo, S., Theng, Y.L., Goh, H.L.D., & Na, J.C. (2009). From digital archives to virtual exhibitions. In Theng, Y.L., Foo, S., Goh, H.L.D., & Na, J.C. (Eds.)
Handbook of Research on Digital Libraries: Design, Development and Impact, IGI Global, Hershey, PA, 88-101.
- Theng, Y.L., Foo, S., Goh, H.L.D., & Na, J.C. (2009). Handbook of Research on Digital Libraries: Design,
Development and Impact, IGI Global, Hershey, PA.
- Foo, S., Sharma, R., & Chua, A. (2007).
Knowledge Management Tools and Techniques (2nd ed.), Pearson Education South Asia Pte. Ltd.
- Goh, H.L.D., & Foo, S. (2007).
Social information retrieval systems: Emerging technologies and applications for searching the Web effectively, Information Science Reference (an imprint of IGI Global), Hershey, PA
- Mokhtar, I. A., Majid, S., & Foo, S. (2007). Teaching information literacy through learning styles: Application of Gardner’s Multiple Intelligence.
Journal of Librarianship and Information Science (JOLIS), 40(2).
- Foo, S., & Li, H. (2004). Chinese word segmentation and its effects on information retrieval.
Information Processing & Management, 40, 161-190.