Ms Ng Chay Tuan
BA NUS, DipLib Wales
Head & Deputy Director (Acquisitions & Collection Management)
Lee Wee Nam Library Level 2
Tel : (65) 6790 5211 Fax : (65) 6316 8766
Operational Responsibilities :
- Provide leadership and coordination for collection development activities of book and media covering policy development, budget management, collection analysis, and assessment and review.
- Manage and oversee all aspects of the acquisitions and cataloguing process to ensure timely availability of critical resources for the university community.
- Oversee the metadata management process to ensure accurate and consistent description, classification, use of names and subject terms using international standards so as to achieve optimal user search and discovery experience.
- Oversee the identification, coordination and resolution of copyright and censorship issues relating to the acquisitions of library resources.
Work Experience :
Chay Tuan joined the National Library after a stint at the Postgraduate Medical Library. She was first posted to Toa Payoh Branch Library and then to Library Extension (Mobile Library).
After leaving National Library, Chay Tuan headed the Victoria Junior College Library before joining NTU Library in 1990.
At NTU Library, she worked in various roles as acquisitions and cataloguing librarian. She then headed first the reference services, and then the acquisitions division before assuming her current position as head of technical services in 2009. Technical Services is renamed Acquisitions & Collection Management in 2014.
Professional Interests :
- Copyrights and legal challenges for libraries
- Application of technology in libraries and service oriented industries
- New gadgets for office and personal use
- Ng Chay Tuan (2004). E-Learning and E-Library: Perspectives from an Academic Library. Information Literacy Conference, Brunei: 4-7 October, 2004.
- Ng Chay Tuan (2002). iGEMS: A Truly Personalised University Portal. LAS Seminar 2002 ‘Towards Digital Libraries: Current practices and projects in Singapore libraries’, Singapore: 26 January, 2002.
- Choy Fatt Cheong & Ng Chay Tuan (2011). What users want and what users do in E-books: Findings of a study on use of E-books from NTU Library. Singapore Journal of Library & Information Management, 40, pp1-32. Available at http://www.las.org.sg/sjlim/SJLIM2011ChoyNgEbooks.pdf