Prof Haresh Shah
Professor Haresh Shah has been a pioneer in the fields of risk analysis, earthquake engineering, and probabilistic methods for over 35 years. He has served Stanford University in many capacities, including Chairman of the Department of Civil Engineering and Founding Director of the John A. Blume Earthquake Engineering Center.
Haresh Shah is the author of one book, has contributed to chapters in many books and has been an author or co-author of more than 350 technical papers and reports. He has been keynote speaker at many national, international conferences and has been a regular keynote invited speaker for many corporations. He is a member of many Editorial Boards of Professional Journals and Professional Societies.
Haresh Shah has been recently involved in the following activities:
- Founder and Senior Advisor of Risk Management Solutions, Inc. (RMS, Inc.)
- Founding Director and Chairman, World Seismic Safety Initiative (WSSI).
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Nanyang Technological University (NTU) of Singapore.
- Chairman of the Academic Affairs Committee of the NTU Board of Trustees.
- Founder and Advisor of the Singapore-NTU Alliance for Micro-Insurance.
- Elected as honorary member of the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute of USA.
- Elected as the honorary member of the International Association of Earthquake Engineering.
- Chairman of the Advisory Board of the Institute of Catastrophe Risk Management, NTU, Singapore.
Prof Shah received a B. E. degree (1959) from Poona University, India, and degrees of M. S. (1960) and Ph. D. (1963) from Stanford University. Prof. Shah has received many awards, including the John S. Bickley Gold Medal for Excellence Award from the International Insurance Society for his sustained and outstanding contributions to the insurance industry. Prof Shah was given a unique award as the “Top Seismic Engineer of the 20th Century” by the Applied Technology Council/Engineering News Record in 2006. Prof. Shah was recently awarded the Alfred Alquist Medal from the Earthquake Engineering Research Institute of America for his contributions and service for earthquake safety to global community. Most recently, Prof Shah was awarded the most prestigious EERI award, the 2013 Housner Medal for his extraordinary and lasting contributions to earthquake safety through the development and application of earthquake hazard reduction practices and policies.